Broadcasting modem IP

ES1100 / GS1100 series

Moderator: keiko

Broadcasting modem IP

Postby XelDude on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 am

This modem is sitting on a dhcp provided IP. The provider cannot offer static IPs.

I am wondering if there is a way of having the modem email or send some sort of update to a remote site to let us know what its new IP is each time it changes. It seems to change 20-30 times daily which is ridiculous but we have no control over it.

BTW, the model is the zyxel c1100z and I wasn't able to find a forum for this model specifically so am hoping I posted this in the correct board.
XelDude

Cash: 5

Re: Broadcasting modem IP

Postby Mijzelf on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 am

XelDude wrote:I am wondering if there is a way of having the modem email or send some sort of update to a remote site to let us know what its new IP is each time it changes.
The common solution for this kind of problems is to use a dynamic dns service. Many routers have build-in support for that. Don't know if that's also the case for your router.
Mijzelf
Advisor
Advisor

Cash: 975

Postby XelDude on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 am

Yes, but is there any other way, by using the modem itself rather than an external service.
XelDude

Postby Mijzelf on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:49 am

I think it's fundamentally impossible to do it without external service. The modem detects an IP change, and sends a mail to an external mailserver, or puts a file on an external ftp server, or pushes a message to an external dynamic dns server. What's the difference?
Mijzelf
Advisor
Advisor

Postby XelDude on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:51 am

The difference is obvious. In the first case, I can receive the email directly or a file and do with it as I want.
In the second case, I have to sign up to some external service and count on them.

I'm trying to avoid the later. I only need to know if/how the model could send a file or an email based on an IP change in order to accomplish the goal.
However, it sounds like this unit doesn't have the functionality I would need.
XelDude

Postby Mijzelf on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:44 pm

XelDude wrote:The difference is obvious. In the first case, I can receive the email directly or a file and do with it as I want.
In the second case, I have to sign up to some external service and count on them.
I think you are missing my point. In both cases you have to rely on an external service. In one case a mail server, in the other case a dyndns service.
I only need to know if/how the model could send a file or an email based on an IP change in order to accomplish the goal.
As dyndns is more convenient (just access you home network by domain, no need to insert IP addresses), I don't think any domestic router implements such a service.

However, if the router implements a 'generic' dyndns provider and you have a webserver where you can run some cgi scripts, it's not difficult to build a 'dyndns to mail' converter.

A dyndns status update generally is done over http(s). By accessing an url like http(s)://dyndnsprovider.com?domain=<domain>&password=<password>&newip=<ip> the dyndns provider connects the new IP to the domain. If you can specify how to compose the url, you can let your cgi script send that e-mail.
Mijzelf
Advisor
Advisor

Postby XelDude on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:18 am

That's interesting. I'll have to look into that. I run my own dns server but have never had to deal with dynamic IP's, ever.
I'll look around for something centos based that might work.

Thanks.
XelDude

Return to 1000 series