Can't install NFS on NSA310

NSA210 / NSA221 / NSA310 / NSA320 / NSA325

Moderator: celeste100440

Can't install NFS on NSA310

Postby AnthonyL on Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 am

I'm just delving into the Linux world and want to access the NSA310.

Following instructions from Firmware/Packages->Package, highlight NFS (which now has a Red "no entry" sign next to it) and attempt "Install/Upgrade". Starts off then fails.

Using latest Firefox on Win 7 and XP, latest Chrome on Win 7. Have just updated Firmware successfully to v4.62. Any clues - looks like I can't get any files now for the plain NSA310 from the download site.
AnthonyL

Cash: 10

Re: Can't install NFS on NSA310

Postby Mijzelf on Sun May 21, 2017 8:52 pm

AnthonyL wrote:Any clues - looks like I can't get any files now for the plain NSA310 from the download site.
The default server, ftp://ftp.zyxel.com, offers only packages for fw 4.70, which you can find here.

Another option is to use MetaRepository, which gives you the possibility to offer the 4.70 packages locally, or to redirect the package system to another directory on the ZyXEL server.
Mijzelf
Advisor
Advisor

Cash: 976

Postby AnthonyL on Mon May 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Mijzelf wrote:The default server, ftp://ftp.zyxel.com, offers only packages for fw 4.70, which you can find here.

Thank you very much for that reply. I am not overly familiar with all of this and ask for a bit of confirmation/clarification please:

1) With my currently updated fw 4.62 a search for Firmware updates resulted in "Remote file not found" leading me to the obvious(?) conclusion that that was the end of the line. Is that a correct message because it seems a strange way to (not) offer upgrades?

2) I've downloaded what I think is the correct file - NSA310_V4.70(AFK.3)C0.zip and extracted 470AFK3C0.bin which I presume I install via the Browse option on Firmware Upgrade page. Is there any recommended fail-safe procedure in case it fails?

3) I got a bit confused with NSA310_Flickr_20140708.bin - is this of any relevance to me?

4) I have noted the MetaRepository option though not studied it. If I successfully update to fw 4.70 will the packages then be available to me through the Package -> Retrieve from Internet option?

Thank you for your patience.
AnthonyL

Postby Mijzelf on Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pm

1) The firmware update should also be offered by ftp.zyxel.com, but it isn't there. ZyXEL has had problems with their FTP server, and unfortunately they didn't restore all backups. (Or maybe they didn't backup everything). Fortunately there are mirrorservers.

2) Just update using the webinterface. If the file doesn't fit, it will be rejected.

3) Don't think so. I guess there were problems in auto-upload to flickr, and this is a one-issue update.

4) If you upgrade to 4.70, the firmware will search for packages in ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/NSA310/4.70/zypkg/, which is available and populated. So no need for MetaRepository when you only want stock packages.
Mijzelf
Advisor
Advisor

Postby AnthonyL on Tue May 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Again many thanks - fw updated and packages displayed as they should. Just need now to learn how to get Linux and NFS to play but that is a separate issue (unless you know the answer of course).

Disappointing and disconcerting that the the server files aren't in the correct place - would have saved a lot of hassle and I'm sure I've not been alone in encountering issues.
AnthonyL

Postby Mijzelf on Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm

AnthonyL wrote:Just need now to learn how to get Linux and NFS to play but that is a separate issue (unless you know the answer of course).
I don't see a question here.
Disappointing and disconcerting that the the server files aren't in the correct place
Correct place? Hey, this is Linux. Total freedom for everyone to put their files wherever they like.

In case you are searching for your NFS package files, they can be found in /usr/local/zy-pkgs/
Mijzelf
Advisor
Advisor

Postby AnthonyL on Wed May 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Many thanks - the fw upgrade got me to all the necessary NSA310 files and Linux Mint Application manager got the necessary Linux files so I've attached using CIFS.

Still a bit more work to do to automate the Mount and make it more streamlined but good enough for the moment.
AnthonyL

Return to Home Storage